Remember Conway's Game Of Life?
Well, this is a collection of cellular automata - fields of cells which live by certain rules. At this point LivingCells is able to simulate not only the famous Game Of Life, but also its colored variant, a family of cellular automata called Generations, which includes widely known Brian's Brain, and also Turmites family, the best-known example of which is Langton's ant.
This is not a game per se because it doesn't require any input from the player. But it is possible to affect how cells live by adjusting rules, creating new cells or dragging groups of existing ones.
This aplication is designed to run on any device with Android 2.1 or higher, including tablets.
- Four types of cellular automata
- Possibility to set a rule for each type and also to enter your own rules
- Interactive field allowing to create and erase cells or to drag existing cells. Switch between adding and erasing with a longpress. Simulation pauses by default, but this is now adjustable
- Customizable look and feel for the cells: either select one of the preinstalled themes or create your own
- Application can be used as a live wallpaper
Try Star Wars rule in Generations - my friends liked it a lot!
Due to requests from the users, live wallpaper functionality has been added. Settings for the wallpaper are set separately from the settings of the standalone application. I should note that the computation of every next grid state requires CPU resources depending on the speed and the grid size. I advise not to set small cell size or fast speed for the wallpaper to avoid power drain.
You can also set the grid type to Turmites, this is the only automaton which doesn't demand much resources regardless of the speed and cell size settings. Moreover, Turmites look better when cells are small and speed is high.
You can leave your requests at my blog (see developer's info).
In the case you want to read about Game Of Life, Brian's Brain or Turmites, here are a few Wikipedia links:
Living Cells (Game of Life +) is a free software application from the Recreation subcategory, part of the Home & Hobby category.
The app is currently available in English and it was last updated on 2013-03-02. The program can be installed on Android.
Living Cells (Game of Life +) (version 2.2.1) is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 193 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.
Here you can find the changelog of Living Cells (Game of Life +) since it was posted on our website on 2015-04-26.
The latest version is 2.2.1 and it was updated on soft112.com on 2018-03-27.
See below the changes in each version:
posted on 2013-03-02
- If the grid hangs in a lengthy operation, the application will reset the grid instead of crashing,- It is no longer possible to set an invalid value for the maximum life field in the Generations rule editor